Sunday, April 29, 2012

Welcome Home!

As many of you know, I am now back home with my wonderful and crazy family. Let me tell you, it's been a bit of a...culture shock (I guess that's the best way to put it). It's just been crazy being thrust back into family life, and not be in single student college life anymore.

For example, my siblings are still in school. Every week day morning, I get called downstairs from the warmth and comfort of my sleep for family prayer. Then I stumble back upstairs and crawl back under the covers, because it's 7:45 in the AM, which is way too early for me to even consider leaving my bed, let alone get up and get ready for the day. So I go back to sleep.

Another thing I'm not used to: I have zero personal space. In college, there was almost a dividing line between Emily's half of the room and my half. People didn't come over to my half unless I invited them over. My room was my sanctuary. At home? People are in my room all the time. When I was unpacking, there were four other people in my room besides myself. Jacob and Adam were just lounging around on my bed, Andrew was on the top bunk, and Emily was playing with her toys in the middle of the room. Now, this makes my room sound a lot bigger than it is. Trust me, it's not big enough to hold five people, yet it frequently does so. My bed gets invaded by others on a daily basis, which is never a pleasant experience.

I live with boys. Not the older 18-19 year old boys that care about girls so they try to be clean and not gross around them. I live with the kind of boys who don't care. About anything. Especially their sister. Room filthy? No big deal. Clothes being left on the bathroom floor? What? Those are supposed to go someplace else? Boxers hanging where the towels are supposed to go? Eh. At least they're not on the floor, right? Using your sister's PURPLE TOWEL, which is clearly hers because it's PURPLE, and not at all reeking of essence of boy? Oh, that was yours? Whoops. I didn't think to grab my own towel, and that was the only one in the bathroom since you're the only one responsible enough to keep it there, so too bad for you! (That towel no longer resides in the bathroom, because it is clearly not safe there anymore.)

Toys. There are so many toys, all over the floor. Now, I'm not a necessarily clean person. My room got cleaned for one week out of the month for cleaning checks. However, most of my mess was either clothes or shoes. Those don't really hurt when you step on them. Lego's however, do hurt. And littlest pet shop toys. And Hotweels. It's like a landmine. And it's even worse when lights are off!

This used to be normal for me. But after living with girls for the past eight months, I've become spoiled with my college way of life. Not that I don't like being home, because it's pretty nice. It's just going to take some getting used to. But for now, I think I'll stick to my bed. Whenever it's not getting violated by outsiders, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment