Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Void

So it begins. That long dreadful time between the end of college basketball and the start of college football. I mean, there's only about 5 more months till the first Florida game! Or 21 weeks. Or 148 days. It's ok. I can do this, right? *Deep Breath* And before I know it, college football will start! Yippee! And Emily will disappear each Saturday, because apparently I become difficult to handle during football season, and she can't tolerate it. Oh well. To each their own.

Now, there's not a complete and total sports hole. I mean, if there was ever an actual gap, then people would probably cease to function. There's the NBA. But seriously I mean, there's just so much of it! And then the playoffs last for-freaking-ever. I mean, seven games to determine a victor? That just sucks all of the fun out it! That, and I don't really care too much about the NBA. It was cool when the Mavs won last year because they're close to home. And that's about it when it comes to loyalties for me.

My FHE father also mentioned baseball. I just gave him a look. As in: No. The only time I ever watch baseball is the College World Series. And that's because Florida is usually in them, so my family watches them play. Also, because we're desperate for sports entertainment by mid-Summer. We'll watch Florida play anything. Last summer, when we were in Florida, the softball team was in the championship. Did we watch it? You bet. Also, we were watching a Florida swimmer compete for an Olympic qualifying time. And a few summers ago, we watched Florida in the Ultimate Frisbee tournament. In Texas. Because we're not the only ones who are grasping at straws.

Guess what I just remembered?! The Olympics are this summer! Whew, we just avoided a long August. Thank goodness. I love the Olympics. It's gonna be great!

My current coping mechanism is watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix. I've never seen it before, and it's surprising how accurate their portrayal of the atmosphere is (for the first 3 episodes anyway). Although I lived in the city, high school football was still a pretty big deal, and our football team wasn't even that good (they won 10 games in the 4 years I was there). However, the stadium would still fill up every Friday night. As we traveled to smaller towns with good football teams, it's incredible how important high school football is in Texas. I mean, our high school has a tiny stadium compared to most 5A high schools, but it's huge to other high schools out of the state! And the fan base is insane in the smaller towns. It's been fun watching Friday Night Lights and being like "Yes. This is exactly what happened during football games!"

And so the journey through The Void begins. I'll be watching ESPN and searching the internet, hunting for any scrap of college football information. Because kick off is coming, and it's sooner than you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment