Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My own first world problem

I am so stoked! For reals. It's crazy to think that in 48 hours, I will not be in the state of Texas! I'm so excited right now, it's not even funny. There's something about this trip that's different than most. However, there is one thing that will always get my mood down when I'm excited for something.

Packing.

Ew. Gross. Without fail, I absolutely hate packing, and all that it entails. I mean, it's gonna be fun right? Even when I was getting ready to go to BYU, I still dreaded packing everything up. I have no idea why my brain shuts down when I think about it. For example, I'm supposed to be packing right now, but instead, I'm writing a blog post about how much I hate it.

So over the next couple of minutes, I'm going to lay out why I hate packing, and then maybe gather up the courage to actually do it. Maybe.

1) There's always so much stuff to sort through! Should I take these shoes, or those shoes? Will it be hot or cold? How many pairs of socks will I need? All of this is why packing sucks the fun out of the trip. It has to be so calculated and planned out instead of spontaneous and fun.
2) There's so much cleaning involved. It's like I need to clean my whole room to figure out what to pack. And by clean, I mean there's the washing of the clothes, and the organizing of the shoes and the bathroom bag that needs to be done.
3) There's always that ONE ITEM that you know exists, but just can't seem to find it right when you need it the most. This happens to me every time. I'm always missing that one shirt that matches the pair of pants I want to take, or the one shoe that I plan on wearing every day. It's so annoying. I swear my stuff plays pranks on me. Oh, you want to take us on vacation? Joke's on you! Evil stuff...
4) Packing as a family is no laughing matter. Firstly, we all share suitcases. This means that not only do I have to track my own clothes down, I've got to find all of my sister's as well. And boy do her clothes grow legs! Secondly, we have to figure out how to cram everything we need into our Suburban, and that's not even counting what we want. It's crazy.
5) There's always that sliver of a doubt that the things we're disregarding will actually be needed. For example, I'm not taking my curling iron. I mean, we're going to be hitting the beach pretty much every day, and besides that, the humidity should keep my hair nice and curly for me. Right? But then again, there might be that one day where I will actually need it to tame my hair, and actually look presentable. However, the chances are fairly slim... It's official. No curling iron. The space it takes up is not worth the slim chance that I'll actually need. Hopefully that decision doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

I will hopefully be able to do what I've wanted to do for years: Blog about my family's adventures. I mean, nine of us in a car for 17 hours? So much gold right there. And silver. And maybe some bronze too. And that's not counting the actual fun parts of the trip. While I may have limited access to a computer (I still have yet to decide whether my computer's gonna make the journey with us or not), I will do my best to keep y'all updated :)

So off to the Sunshine state! Hopefully all of this whining has left my system so that I can actually get some work done. Then again, there's always Kingdom Hearts to be played...

No comments:

Post a Comment