Thursday, March 8, 2012

Something I'm Passionate About

Band.

Alright. Get it out of your system. All those Band Nerd comments and how geeky band kids are have a place right here, right now. All good? Is it out of your system yet? No? How bout now? Good. Let me tell you why I love band.

Performing is the most exhilarating thing in the whole wide world. Ask anyone who's ever performed anything. You wonder why people keep coming back? Because it's wonderful. There's just something about finishing the final cord in the song and looking out at the audience to the cheering and screaming and marching off the field that makes the long hours and tedious practices worth it.

And I mean long hours. As in loooooong hours. I was in a Texas Marching Band, which meant that band was a religion. If we wanted to be in concert band, then we were in marching band. Period. End of story. How crazy is marching band? The season starts in May. That's right. May. Then there's Summer Band for a week in June. Then leadership training and getting things together at the end of July. And then there's August.

Come August, the first two weeks are two-a-days. It's called getting up at 6am to be at practice, ready to go at 7. Then we're outside on the field from 7-11 because we try to beat the heat. Which fails miserably because it's already up to at least 100 by 9am in the bad summers. Which is almost every summer. Then we get two blessed hours off for lunch, and then we come back for music instruction from 1-5. Thankfully it's inside. Unthankfully, it's not any less brutal. After two weeks of that, then it's one week of evening practice from 6pm-9pm. All of it outside. Did I mention that it was hot? Always hot. Even in the mornings, once school starts. Because we practiced every morning from 7-8:30, and that was on top of class time.

I know, the above paragraph sounds absolutely horrid. So why do I look so fondly on my band memories? Because of the many wonderful friends I made in band and the many wonderful times that I had. As a "pittie" (a member of the front ensemble), we had so many inside jokes. We always had loads of fun, even when practice was boring and we didn't play for an entire hour (which frequently happens as a member of the front ensemble). I always had friends in the pit.

I was in front ensemble the first two years of high school because I didn't think that I would enjoy marching. Boy was I ever wrong! Junior and Senior year, I marched on the cymbal line, and it was AWESOME. Seriously. Best moments of my life. It was so much less boring, and playing in the stands during football games was a blast. One time, it started pouring during our performance at a competition and it was one of the coolest things ever. I mean, the rain was falling, and every time I crashed my cymbals, the water flew off and looked so cool. Another time at a competition, there were these huge storms that came through and we were stuck in a building for HOURS. We had rolly chair races and played hockey and we had a pretty good time.

Another great thing about band is the amount of fun we had at football games. They were a blast. We got to goof off in the stands (until Williams got mad at us) and just have a great time. Being a part of drum line was literally the coolest thing ever because drum line is the best section on the field. No joke. Everyone respects the drum line. We had so many fun cadences that we got to play and we just rocked out to whatever we wanted. And after halftime performances, the whole band got a snack, which was super fun. And after competitions, we ate Chick Fil A. Best stuff ever.

Bus rides!! Bus rides are also amazing because you get to ride with your section (again, percussion is the best). We always had bus buddies that we liked to sit with. Sometimes we would play "Big Booty", which is amazing on a bus where everyone can keep the beat and rap and switch it up. Oh man, such fun times. One time, we got lost, and a tree entered the window. Another time it was crazy raining. And it was always nice whenever we got to ride on a charter bus, which are super fancy and a whole lot better than school buses. I've spent so many hours in a school bus, it's not even funny.

Marching band is really one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I've had great friendships and have always had a blast. Don't get me wrong, there were some bad times, but we always pulled through with our own inside jokes and ragging on Williams (our head band director. You never say "Mr." in front of it. It's always "Williams") and other such crazy shenanigans. Marching band was awesome. And that's why I loved it.



Me, Jessie, and Hannah B on a bus ride to... somewhere. Probably an away football game. This was my... Sophomore year?? Crazy.



Outstanding Front Ensemble my Sophomore Year! (Also, look how dark I am! I miss the sun.)



Drum line my Senior Year. Gotta love these guys!


"East Side" Cymbal Line


3rd quarter shenanigans


Some of my dearest friends during an extremely long 3rd quarter break

And these pictures are only a small glimpse as to why I love Marching Band!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I marched for three years in the Ankeny Marching Hawks, the best marching band in Iowa. I totally hear you on the long hours and the hot days. And the cold mornings, which would start happening in October. And also agreed about the drumline. My last year I spent as a drum major, where I got to play in the pit and hang out pretty much exclusively with the drumline, which was the facet that I was in charge of. It was the best! Thanks for posting this, Monica. Marching band was one of my favorite things about high school. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of the band. I was never in band but you know Brooke was on drum line as well until she had to quit to do media tech. David loves band, he plays the Alto Sax. LOVES it. Although none of "MY Kids" are in the band I have many other kids who are. We never miss a football game or any of their contests. As long as everyone is feeling good. I watch the kids work so hard. I remember the the long hours Brooke puy in, but I also remember all the fun they had as well. David will start the two a days this year. He will be a freshman. So hard to believe. I remember being in the stands yelling for you at any competition you would be at when we were there for SHS. Hope you are having a great time at BYU! Miss you

    ReplyDelete