Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Memories

I remember walking in the door after a long drive and hearing you say "Hey kiddo!"

I remember you taking my brother and I to our cousin's Little League baseball game just because we wanted to see him play.

I remember you pulling out the old and decrepit SuperNintendo every time we visited just so my brothers and I could play Mario for a couple of hours.

I remember you filling up the candy jars before we came over just so my brothers and I would have candy.

I remember sitting in the living room, listening to you talk to my dad about sports and politics.

I remember coming inside from playing in your backyard, terrified of the bees that I saw and you comforting me and helping me find something else to play with.

I remember the neighborhood cats that you fed at your back door just because they were strays and were hungry.

I remember Sunday Dinners and Craw fish boils.

I remember the old cars that were your pride and joy because you worked so hard to fix them up.

I remember the big breakfasts that would send us off with for our next day of driving to get to Florida.

I remember the "Burger Money" you gave us before we would leave.

I remember after my brother was born that you and Aunt Sue took care of us while my dad was at the hospital with my mom.

I remember you taking us to church.

I remember the play kitchen that you bought and fixed up just for me.

I remember you helping my family whenever you could.

I remember the love you have for Aunt Sue.

I remember the life of service that you had, not only for your family, but for our country as well.

Uncle Ivan, you are loved and you are remembered. Thank you for everything you have done and everything you will do in the life to come. Thank you for the example you gave to us all. You lived a life of love, kindness and charity. You treated everyone the same, no matter who they were. I know that you are happy now, and free from pain. And one day, I will see you again. I hope to make you proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment