Sunday, January 22, 2012

Star Wars

I LOVE Star Wars. To the extreme. I know it didn't make my obsession list (believe me, a lot of things didn't make the list. Like College Football.) but trust me when I say that I love Star Wars from the bottom of my heart. And then some more. It just holds a special place in my memories that can only be equaled to how much I love the Florida Gators. It's that big a deal.

I was first introduced to Star Wars when my dad bought the original trilogy when it came out in it's special Gold edition box set (yes people, that was on VHS). My earliest memories of watching Star Wars were when we lived in Georgia, so I was six. We would watch them on the weekends together (when we weren't watching football) and have a grand ole time. Sitting next to my brother Benjamin and my dad always made me so happy. Soon enough, it was all that Benjamin and I talked about. Star Wars became our lives. He would get to watch some of the movie while I was at school, and then he'd catch me up on it later. I can't even begin to count how many times I've watched the original trilogy. They're that good. My brother and I had Star Wars coloring books, and for Christmas, Benjamin got the Mellennium Falcon and I got Luke's X-Wing. We played with those for hours and hours.

Just hearing the Star Wars theme song makes me so insanely happy and excited. Last night, I watched Star Wars episodes VI and V and now I'm the happiest person alive. Whenever I went to go borrow Episode V from one of Brett's roommates, I kept telling Emily how insanely excited I was. In fact, I was too exited to wear socks under my boots because it would have meant taking an extra minute or two, and I just wasn't having it.

Now of course, the original trilogy is the best. Hands down. However, don't discredit the prequel trilogy. While it's nowhere near as awesome as the original, it's still Star Wars, so it still has a remnant of the mighty power. The prequel trilogy is more of my generation, and I remember when each of them came out and when I saw them. I wasn't able to see Episode III until after I turned 13, but believe me, it was one of the very first PG-13 movies that I saw.

As to the fan fiction "novels" that take place after Episode VI, those don't exist. I don't care if George Lucas supposedly approved them, but they are not real. I love Star Wars, and if you love something enough, you'll just let it go. Or in this case, stick with how and when the movies end. They end in a good place, and in my mind, that's where it'll always be. They are forever immortalized. Let's keep it that way, and not try to expand the story in places it would never go. Still suffering from Star Wars withdrawals? Watch them again. Don't keep creating things that never happened. (Clone Wars and the subsequent TV series is barely acceptable. And that's because it's filling in a story line that was already created and loosely discussed but never expounded upon.)

One of the best days that I've ever had was when my friend Becca and I watched all the Star Wars episodes in one day. It was magnificent. Hopefully I'll be able to do that again one day. But as for right now, I'll just watch them one (or two) at a time until I go through them all again. And then I'll probably start over. Because after watching them through once, I just want to go back and watch them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment